COLUMBUS – Secretary of State Jon Husted has announced August as “STEMM in Ohio” Month. Throughout the month, the Ohio Business Profile program will highlight Ohio companies that are currently seeking talent in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM).
By 2018, Ohio is estimated to have nearly 274,000 jobs in the STEMM disciplines. However, the growth in these jobs is outpacing the qualified workforce needed to fill them.
“Ohio’s economy is rapidly changing and the STEMM disciplines are driving this transformation,” said Secretary Husted. “From life-changing breakthroughs in the medical field to new innovations in the science and technology fields, professionals in these fields are shaping the world around us. In order to carry this momentum into the future, we’re going to need to continue developing STEMM-related skills in the years to come.”
Companies profiled this month include:
- Idea Foundry (Columbus, Ohio) is a community workspace and learning center. They provide training and access to a variety of resources so their members can develop ideas and grow their businesses.
- Information Control Company, LLC (Columbus, Ohio) is a digital and information technology consulting company that employs nearly 600 consultants. By providing technological leadership, they help organizations enhance their performance by improving processes and increasing productivity.
- Choice One Engineering (Sidney, Ohio) provides civil engineering and surveying services and is dedicated to having a personable approach with clients.
- Motion Controls Robotics, Inc. (Fremont, Ohio) focuses on integrating a wide range of robotic material handling applications for a variety of industries.
- Great Lakes Science Center (Cleveland, Ohio) is a museum that makes science, technology, engineering and math come alive for their visitors through hands-on exhibits, daily demonstrations and seasonal camps.
- Fort Recovery Industries, Inc. (Fort Recovery, Ohio) manufactures die cast components and assemblies while also providing secondary capabilities in finishing, machining and plating.
- SPR Therapeutics, LLC (Cleveland, Ohio) is a neurostimulation company committed to improving the lives of pain sufferers worldwide. Led by a team of scientists, physicians and business professionals, SPR Therapeutics works hard to provide affordable alternatives to addictive opioid medications and invasive surgeries.
- Midmark Corporation (Dayton, Ohio) provides medical, dental and veterinary equipment and technology. Their 1,700 employees are passionate about creating new ways to improve the experience between patients and their caregivers.
- Madisono’s Gelato & Sorbet (Cincinnati, Ohio) produces authentic Italian gelato and sorbet for retail stores and restaurants. They focus on making unique flavor combinations while using quality ingredients.
From 2010 to 2016, Ohio saw a 30.8 percent increase in the number of newly-registered businesses, and 2016 marked the seventh-consecutive record-breaking year for new businesses in the state.
Since taking office in 2011, Secretary Husted has made it a priority to offer better services to Ohio entrepreneurs and businesses at a lower cost. In 2013, he launched Ohio Business Central, which allows businesses to be created online with a significantly quicker turnaround time. This efficiency allowed the state to cut the fees associated with starting a new business by 21 percent in 2015. That same year, Secretary Husted began a partnership with Google’s “Let’s Put Our Cities on the Map” program making it easy for new businesses to access free tools to help them get off the ground.
Ohio Business Profile was launched in 2011 to highlight Ohio companies that create transformative products, offer outstanding service, contribute to their local communities and employ Ohioans. Each month, a handful of diverse businesses linked together by a common theme are featured on the Secretary of State’s website. Ohioans are encouraged to submit companies they feel are deserving of recognition in future months.