Record High Early Voting & Record Low Need for Provisional Ballots
COLUMBUS – Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted today certified the official results of the 2016 Presidential General Election held on November 8, 2016. In total, 5,607,641 Ohioans cast ballots, out of 7,861,025 registered voters, leading to a voter turnout rate of 71.33 percent.
“As we close the books on another election, one thing that is abundantly clear is that Ohio is a national leader in elections administration as our state once again has delivered a well-run election,” Secretary Husted said. “Despite the unwarranted predictions of a troubled election, it is clear that voters had a great experience and the 2016 Presidential Election in Ohio was free of any major problems.”
2016 Election Records:
- More Ohioans cast an absentee ballot than at any election in Ohio history.
- Fewer Ohioans cast a provisional ballot during the 2016 Presidential Election than during any Presidential Election since 2004, the earliest year records are available.
The final results in the Presidential, U.S. Senate, Congressional and certain judicial races as well as the provisional, absentee ballot and precinct-by-precinct reports are available below and are permanently housed under Election Results and Data on the Secretary of State’s website.
2016 Election By-the-Numbers:
- 5,607,641 total ballots (turnout: 71.33%) were cast in 2016, compared to 5,633,246 (turnout: 70.53%) in 2012 and 5,773,777 (turnout: 69.97%) in 2008.
- President-Elect Donald Trump carried 80 of Ohio’s 88 counties.
- 1,890,069 absentee ballots were cast with 1,879,630 (99.45%) counted. This compares to 1,876,174 absentee ballots cast in 2012 with 1,862,984 (99.3%) counted. In 2008, 1,744,753 absentee ballots and 1,717,256 (98.42%) were counted. More absentee ballots were cast and a higher percentage were counted than in 2008 or 2012.
- 56.8 percent of counted absentee ballots were cast in counties won by President-Elect Donald Trump, with 43.2 percent cast in counties won by for former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
- 154,965 provisional ballots were cast with 131,987 (85.17%) counted. This compares to 208,084 provisional ballots cast in 2012 with 173,785 (83.52%) counted. In 2008, 206,859 provisional ballots were cast with 166,870 (80.67%) counted. Fewer provisional ballots were cast and a higher percentage were counted than in 2008 or 2012.
- 50.3 percent of counted provisional ballots were cast in counties won by President-Elect Donald Trump, with 49.6 percent cast in counties won by for former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
- Voter Turnout by County (XLSX)
- Voter Turnout by Precinct (XLSX)
- Absentee Supplemental Report (XLSX)
- Provisional Supplemental Report (XLSX)
- Results by County (XLSX)
- Results by Precinct (XLSX)