COLUMBUS – Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted today announced the Ohio Business Profile program will feature businesses that deal with transportation and “Moving Ohio” throughout the month of December.
“From the ports of Lake Erie to the Ohio River and all the parts in between, Ohio is a transportation hub for our nation,” Secretary Husted said. “Ohio has a rich history of transportation, from the Wright brothers and the birthplace of aviation to Charles Kettering and the invention of the electric starter for the automobile.”
Ohio is uniquely positioned for successes in the transportation industry, being within a day’s drive of 60 percent of the U.S. and Canadian populations. The state has more than 100 publicly-owned airports, over 250,000 roadway lane miles and the second largest inventory of bridges. Ohio boasts the 12th highest transit ridership in the United States with 62 public transit systems.
Companies profiled this month include:
• Honda of America Mfg., Inc. (Marysville, Ohio) started its first Ohio plant in 1979 with the production of motorcycles and shortly after began producing automobiles. Today, Honda operates 13 companies in Ohio and has manufactured over 17 million cars in the state.
• Transportation Research Center Inc. (East Liberty, Ohio) was started in 1974 and currently employs 450 people. As North America’s largest independent automotive testing facility and proving grounds, TRC supports over 1,000 clients’ research and vehicle testing.
• A-Team Transmissions (Columbus, Ohio) was founded by a second-generation transmission specialist and has quickly grown into an award-winning automotive shop.
• TLC Yachts, LLC (Fairport Harbor, Ohio) is a recreational boat manufacturer that developed its first model in 1960. With the help of their 35 employees, TLC Yachts, LLC has developed over 30 different models and produced over 5,000 boats.
• National Flight Services, Inc. (Swanton, Ohio) started in 1960 as a small aviation company and has grown to be a part of major aviation projects around the world. While they have strengths in several areas of aviation, one of their top services is the overhaul and repair of aircraft engines.
• DRR USA (Brunswick, Ohio) was created in 2000 with a vision to create safer four wheelers, ATVs and dirt bikes for kids.
In January 2016, Secretary Husted announced that 2015 was Ohio’s sixth consecutive year of record business growth and Ohio set an all-time, one-month record in March 2016. Ohio has seen a 21.8 percent increase in the number of newly-registered businesses and a 24.4 percent drop in rejections from 2010 to 2015. This growth can largely be attributed to Secretary Husted’s efforts to provide better customer service to Ohio businesses by reducing the costs associated with registering a new business, ensuring faster processing time and launching online services at the Ohio Business Central.
In addition, Secretary Husted began a partnership with Google’s “Let’s Put Our Cities on the Map” program in 2015. Ohio businesses now have easy access to free tools through Google when they apply to start a business online with the Secretary of State’s office and Ohio is now the least costly state in the region to start and maintain a new business. Learn more by reading Secretary Husted’s guest column in the Cincinnati Enquirer here.
Launched in June 2011, Ohio Business Profile has helped raise awareness about companies registered and doing business in Ohio that are creating interesting products, offering outstanding service, contributing to their local communities and employing Ohioans in the process. Each month, a handful of diverse businesses linked together by a common theme are featured on the Secretary of State’s website, where Ohioans are encouraged to submit companies they feel are deserving of recognition in future months.