FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, November 05, 2015
Secretary Husted Announces November 2015 as Veteran-Owned Businesses Month
COLUMBUS – To honor the service and sacrifice of all those who have served in the U.S. Military, Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted today announced “Veteran-Owned” as the November 2015 theme in the Ohio Business Profile Program.
The Ohio Business Profile designation comes on the 96th anniversary of the first observance of Veterans’ Day, which celebrates the end of World War I. Ohio is home to more than 866,000 veterans of the U.S. armed forces, giving Ohio the 6th largest population of veterans in the nation.
“When they served our country in the military, they learned about things like hard work, perseverance, courage and character and it is precisely those traits that make veterans some of the best and most successful entrepreneurs across our state and nation,” Secretary Husted said.
Companies profiled this month include:
- American Veteran Restoration (Cincinnati, Ohio) specializes in fire damage restoration, water mitigation, mold remediation, storm damage repair, and general contracting. In addition to being veteran owned, the company’s staff is 100 percent made up of U.S. veterans.
- D.J. Group, Inc. (Beverly, Ohio) is a construction company with extensive experience in the oil and gas industry as well as work on waterlines, sewers, airports and bridges.
- Bearded Botanicals (Lima, Ohio) is owned by a U.S. Marine Corps veteran and specializes in natural, organic beard-care products. The business was imagined by the husband-wife team as they sought to use only natural healthcare products and eat whole foods in their own lives.
- Alan Scherr Associates, LLC (Dayton, Ohio) is an architecture firm in the Miami Valley that specializes in architecture, interior design, project management and building envelope commissioning.
- Integrity Crane Services, LTD (Massillon, Ohio) was founded by a U.S. Navy veteran who wanted to translate his military training into a business idea at home. The company specializes in industrial material handling including the use of overhead cranes, hoists and maintenance.
In fall 2015, Secretary Husted announced two new initiatives to propel small business growth in Ohio including the reduction of costs associated with filing a new business in the state. Secretary Husted is also now a Google “Let’s Get Our Cities on the Map” partner, giving new and existing Ohio businesses easy access to free tools through the web giant such as free web hosting and placement on Google’s map and search tools. Ohio is now the least costly state in the region to start and maintain a new business. Read Secretary Husted’s guest column in the Cincinnati Enquirer here.
Launched in June 2011, Ohio Business Profile has helped raise awareness about companies registered and doing business in Ohio that are creating interesting products, offering outstanding service, contributing to their local communities and employing Ohioans in the process. Each month, a handful of diverse businesses linked together by a common theme are featured on the Secretary of State’s website, where Ohioans are encouraged to submit companies they feel are deserving of recognition in future months.
The Secretary of State’s office also releases a monthly report of new business filings in Ohio and recent data shows Ohio is on track for another record year for the number of newly-registered businesses. One reason for the growth has been the launch of online services. In October 2013, Secretary Husted launched Ohio Business Central allowing businesses to file some of the most commonly used forms online and services continue to be expanded. Since January 2011, more than 389,000 filings have been submitted and half of all new companies are now started online in Ohio.
For more information, please contact Joshua Eck at (614) 466-2729