FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, May 05, 2015
SECRETARY HUSTED ANNOUNCES MAY OHIO BUSINESS PROFILES
Featured companies highlight the impact of women-owned companies
COLUMBUS – Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted today announced “Women-Owned” as this month’s Ohio Business Profile.
Female entrepreneurs represent 28 percent of all Ohio businesses, but female proprietorship is on the rise. Since 1997, Ohio has seen a 31 percent growth in women-owned businesses and a 49 percent growth in revenues.
“Astronauts, professional athletes, CEOs, professors, presidents – these are just a few of the many things little girls, including my own, can grow up to be if they want,” Secretary Husted said. “It’s important that we point out good role models for our children to help them build dreams and goals for themselves. That’s why I’m proud to recognize some great female entrepreneurs as part of May’s Ohio Business Profile.”
Ohio women-owned businesses currently employ 289,000 people and account for more than $7 billion in annual payroll.
Companies profiled this month include:
- ATMOS360 (Cincinnati, Ohio) has been an engineering, design and manufacturing organization since 1989. Employing 45 people, the company specializes in filter systems that improve air quality and reduce dust in industrial environments. The company is involved with several regional small business development agencies and helps sponsor the Lincoln Heights Camp Hope for continued educational development of children kindergarten through 6th grade.
- Vocalink (Dayton, Ohio) is a global interpreting and translation firm, assisting individuals and companies with interpretation, translation, and language access compliance. The 215 employee organization earned membership in the National Minority Supplier Development Council’s Corporate Plus ® program in 2013 having demonstrated their ability to execute national contracts for major corporations.
- Bizzybee Marketing (Bowling Green, Ohio) serves small to medium-sized businesses in helping them reach their goals for growth. Operating since 2008, the company works to promote the best in business in Northwest Ohio.
- CryoPlus, Inc. (Wooster, Ohio) provides services to improve performance and increase the life of metal cutting tools, blades, knives, stamping dies, shears, gun barrels and other components by up to 400 percent through cryogenic processing. The company has been in business since 1994.
- The Faithful Little Cupcake (Wayne, Ohio) is a bakery with a mission focused on giving back to the community. It started with one woman’s idea to bake and sell a cake in order to use the profits to bake a free birthday cake for a child who may not otherwise receive one. The business now includes a main bakery and two retail shops and maintains its original purpose by providing volunteers and donations at children’s hospitals, food banks, and other charitable organizations.
- IDC Engineering, Inc. (Lima, Ohio) has been in business since 1999 and provides quality electrical engineering services and consulting to companies in 26 states. The company is heavily involved with continuing education by providing speakers for college courses, conferences and safety workshops across the state. They also support the local community by helping sponsor the Lima Symphony Orchestra and through service on local boards and church committees.
- Journey Steel (Cincinnati, Ohio) is a steel fabrication and erection company that has been operating since 2009. The company also partners with local groups to help recruit and prepare minorities and women for careers as ironworkers. They commit to donating 10 percent of their profits to area charitable organizations each year.
- Measurement Resources Company (Columbus, Ohio), is a research and organizational development firm helping companies and government entities successfully collect and use data to save money and more efficiently reach their goals. Their motto is to “strengthen communities by strengthening the organizations that serve them.”
- Your Event Sitters (Cincinnati, Ohio), is a family-owned business employing 30 people and specializing in providing on-site childcare for all events and occasions. They accomplish their mission to “keep families together under one roof, regardless the occasion,” by travelling to an event and setting up a separate, onsite childcare space for children six weeks to 12 years old.
Launched in June 2011, Ohio Business Profile has helped raise awareness about companies registered and doing business in Ohio that are creating interesting products, offering outstanding service, contributing to their local communities and employing Ohioans in the process. Each month, a handful of diverse businesses linked together by a common theme are featured on the Secretary of State’s website, where Ohioans are encouraged to go to submit companies they feel are deserving of recognition in future months.
The Secretary of State’s office also releases a monthly report of new business filings in Ohio and recent data has shown that Ohio experienced another record year for the number of newly-registered businesses. In fact, over the course of the past five years, the number of new business filings has grown by 24 percent with March 2015 being the best month on record. One reason for the growth has been the launch of online services. In October 2013, Secretary Husted launched Ohio Business Central allowing businesses to file some of the most commonly used forms online and services continue to be expanded. Since January 2011, more than 340,000 filings have been submitted and half of all new companies are now started online in Ohio.
NOTE: New business filings are classified as forms filed with the Ohio Secretary of State that declare the formation of a business entity, including for-profit, non-profit and professional corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, limited partnerships and limited liability partnerships. Filing as a business in Ohio does not guarantee the company will begin operations, be profitable or create jobs.
For more information, please contact Joshua Eck at (614) 466-2729