State Issue 1: Argument FOR
A YES vote on Issue 1, the Jobs for Ohio bond issue, will help create and keep more good jobs without raising taxes.
- YES ON ISSUE 1 HELPS OHIO KEEP AND CREATE JOBS: Issue 1 allows for investment in research and development to create well-paying jobs and industry in all regions of Ohio.
- Issue 1 benefits all Ohioans through research for alternative fuels reducing our foreign oil dependence, through medical research that cures diseases such as heart ailments and cancer, and through greater biotech research that helps our state’s agriculture.
- Issue 1 encourages partnerships between our state’s research universities and the private sector to create new products and jobs to replace those lost offshore.
- Issue 1 will also provide grants to local governments to build public improvements for immediate expansion of new business facilities.
- YES ON ISSUE 1 RENEWS OHIO’S LOCAL GOVERNMENT ROAD AND BRIDGE BUILDING PROGRAM: Two-thirds of the Issue 1 funds will be used by local governments for building and renovating infrastructure like roads, bridges, and water and sewer lines. Issue 1 renews a local government program first approved by Ohio voters in 1987 and again in 1995. It has created many thousands of jobs and improved critical infrastructure throughout Ohio’s 88 counties.
- YES ON ISSUE 1 WON’T INCREASE TAXES: Bonds authorized by Issue 1 will not require a tax increase now or in the future. Repayment of these bonds is already built into Ohio’s long-range budget plans. This package will generate new revenues for state and local governments by expanding our job base.
- ISSUE 1 WAS PUT ON THE BALLOT WITH STRONG REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRATIC SUPPORT IN THE OHIO LEGISLATURE.
We urge a YES vote on Issue 1.
COMMITTEE TO PREPARE ARGUMENTS FOR ISSUE 1: