FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
Secretary Husted: Absentee Ballot Requests Top One Million
More than 59,000 Ohioans have already voted in person across Ohio
Columbus – Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted today announced that Ohio’s county boards of elections have received more than 1.1 million requests to vote by mail, including more than 13,000 requests for military and overseas ballots. In addition, more than 59,000 Ohio voters have already cast their ballots early at their local board of elections or designated absentee voting centers.
“Today marks 28 days before Election Day and Ohioans are already taking full advantage of the wide menu of options they have to vote in this election,” Secretary Husted said. “The fact that nearly 1.2 million Ohioans have acted to be part of the early voting process clearly demonstrates how easy it is to vote in Ohio.”
Information provided below is based on an informal survey of county boards of elections as of Friday, October 5, 2012.
2012 General Election by the Numbers
- 7.9 Million Ohioans are currently registered to vote.
- 1,120,682 absentee ballot applications to vote by mail have been received as of Friday.
- 13,100 military and overseas absentee ballots have been requested as of Friday.
- 59,353 Ohioans have already cast an absentee ballot in person.
- Nearly 6.9 Million absentee ballot applications were sent out to Ohio voters over the course of two statewide mailings. (Initial: 6,488,648; Supplemental: 394,094)
- 92,900 voters and counting have updated their address online at www.MyOhioVote.com.*
*Today marks the last day to register to vote or update voter registrations prior for the November 6, 2012 general election. All boards of elections and the Secretary of State’s office are open until 9:00 p.m. to assist Ohio voters.
“We are off to a good start. I want to thank the 88 county boards of elections for their hard work to ensure voting is accessible, fair and secure in the Buckeye State,” Secretary Husted said.
County-by-County Breakdown of Absentee Voting (PDF) (Excel Spreadsheet)
For more information, please contact Matt McClellanat (614) 995-2239.